Monday, May 31, 2010

Struggles

Hey there!
Lately I have been having some struggles with a story I am trying to develop and thought I would let some of my frustrations out. I wouldn't consider it as writer's block because I haven't really begun writing yet! I am in the planning stages and the events that I have thought of sound more like a script for a soap opera! It is so dramatic and over the top!
This realization caught me off-guard the other day when I had a little spare time (from studies) to write and I couldn't write anything because I wasn't happy with the concept or the non-existent message. My writing style seems to be quite different to others, as I have to develop a good plot plan before I can start writing. Sometimes I really wish that I could be like other writers where they just get so absorbed in what they're characters are telling them that they have to be reminded to eat! Sadly this isn't me - not yet anyway. A couple weeks ago I was in the frame of mind that this meant that I wasn't cut out to be a writer and felt quite depressed. Only now do I realize that it is okay to have a different writing style! Heck, that is why we have different types of books!
Once I had realized this I was determined to have another look at my story board (I write my ideas out on a large whiteboard to organize my ideas), this time I looked hard at why it wasn't working and how I could possibly fix it.
I didn't get a solution straight away, so don't think that it is easy to fix up problems, they usually need a lot of time thinking. So the other night when I was still stressing over it I considered throwing the story idea in the trash pile and starting from scratch but then thought, no, I really love these characters and frankly it was too hard to trash it completely! Then I started to have all these thoughts racing in my mind about how all these previous elements could come together from one big event and not be so cheesy but quite realistic. I was absolutely thrilled! Although, by this time it was 1.30am, I was bursting with energy and started to correct my story board.
However, the story isn't completely finalized with intricate detail, it is something that I am a lot happier with and can now start writing it!
Hooray, for triumph!

~Adelle

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome to hear! I look forward to seeing your ideas when we workshop on Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel!
    How are your plans going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, it is always good when an idea comes together and you can feel excited!

    Good writing comes from practice!

    Keep motivated by being positive, positive thoughts about your writing help develop wonderful three dimentional characters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree! You have to be happy with your writing for it t be effective for your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally get that!

    I've given up on myself so many times I've lost count. But then something occurs, an idea, a thought, a moment and I just have to write it down.

    Characters don't speak to me. I don't lose time unless I'm in the garden and I don't use a storyboard (although I think for some genres it's absolutely essential). I believe there is no right way for anything. For writing, acting, painting, business, motherhood, love ... there are thousands of ways, whats rights is what is right for you.

    See you Friday - OMG The Road *cries* I'm - not - sure - I - can - finish *falls asleep*

    ReplyDelete